Per Diem Single Adult Shelter Support
Date Posted/Updated: 02/01/2023
No. of Positions Open: Ongoing/Always Open- Day, Evening & Overnight shifts
Position Type: Per diem (as needed), no hours guaranteed, non-benefits eligible
Our per diem/substitute shelter support roles offer the opportunity to provide meaningful support to your community with a flexible, low-commitment work schedule. Substitute Shelter Support team members provide support for coverage gaps in our emergency shelters, which require staffing 24/7. You would be contacted when there is a need for coverage, whether pre-planned or to support last-minute needs, such as unplanned illnesses, etc.
Our emergency shelter programs provide opportunities for individuals without housing to have a safe, secure place to stay and have their basic needs met, such as showers, laundry facilities, computer access for job searches, applications, etc., and lunch service. Both shelters are open 365 days a year.
The Waystation overnight shelter is open from 6:00pm – 8:00am each night.
The Daystation drop-in center is open from 9:00am – 5:00pm each day.
Primary Responsibility (but not limited to)
- Ensure the safety and well-being of COTS guests.
- Building trusting relationships with guests.
- Maintain the day-to-day upkeep of the shelters.
- Ensure a welcoming environment for our guests.
- Support guests with meeting the expectations and requirements of shelter programs.
- Support and facilitate social engagement and skill-building opportunities; support and lead lunch service as needed.
- Assist guests with meeting their needs through access to hygiene products, food, medical support services and other community support services.
- Another important expectation of this role is maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of community resources and agencies to ensure guests have access to robust support such as referrals to substance use recovery agencies, food banks, financial support agencies, and more.
Flexibility to work, when given short notice, is required for substitute team members.
Substitute Shelter Support coverage is needed for all shifts, so there is flexibility to accommodate scheduling preferences.
- Minimum of HS degree or equivalent required; BSW or BA in a related field strongly preferred.
- At least one year of related experience required; a combination of coursework and experience will also be considered.
- Strong candidates will have experience with individuals experiencing homelessness and crisis intervention, as well as knowledge of resources and services for individuals and families.
- Ability to work with individuals with mental health, medical, substance abuse and employment issues required.
This is a per diem position, not eligible for benefits.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.