Adult Shelter Support
Date Posted/Updated: 05/08/2023
No. of Positions Open: Multiple part-time evening & weekends (16-20 hrs/wk); Full-time overnight (40 hrs/wk)
If you’re looking for an opportunity to do meaningful work in your community, join the passionate, community-minded team at the Committee on Temporary Shelter! We are currently looking for individuals interested in working with our Individual Adult Shelters, the Daystation drop-in center and the Waystation overnight shelter. Our emergency shelter programs provide opportunities for individuals without housing to have a safe, secure place to stay and have their basic needs met, such as showers, laundry, computer access for job searches, applications, etc., and lunch service. Both shelters are open 365 days a year.
The Waystation overnight shelter is open from 6:00pm – 8:00am each night.
The Daystation drop-in center is open from 9:00am – 5:00pm each day.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of COTS guests.
- Build trusting relationships with guests and ensure a safe, welcoming environment for all
- Support guests with meeting the expectations and requirements of shelter programs
- Maintain the day-to-day upkeep of the shelters
- Conduct intake questionnaires with new guests to identify needs
- Support and lead lunch service as needed (Daystation)
- Assist guests with meeting their needs through access to hygiene products, food, and referrals to medical support services and other community support services
- Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of community resources and agencies to facilitate guest access to community support and services
- Minimum of HS degree or equivalent required
- BSW or BA in a related field a plus
- At least one year of related experience required; a combination of coursework and experience will also be considered
- Ability to work with individuals with mental health, medical, substance abuse and employment issues required.
- Prior experience with individuals experiencing homelessness and crisis intervention, as well as knowledge of resources and services for individuals and families is a plus.
Full-time positions qualify for benefits through COTS, part time positions may qualify for limited benefits. Shelter Support roles start at $19.00/hour per diem; $20.00/hour for regular part-time and full-time team members.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.