References and Reports
COTS VIDEO LIBRARY
Limited numbers of these videos are available for teachers to borrow. Please call 802-864-7402, ext. 104, to inquire. (Note: Statistics cited in these videos may be out of date; refer to date of publication.)
HOMELESS TO HARVARD
(DVD; Lifetime original movie based on the story of Liz Murray, 90 minutes)
In April 2003, Lifetime Television premiered “Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story,” based on the real-life story of a girl who wound up alone and on the streets at age 15 after escaping her drug-addicted and mentally ill parents. Instead of crumbling, however, the troubled teen found the determination to enroll and graduate from Harvard University.
The movie was accompanied by an educational campaign to increase awareness about the issues and solutions of homelessness and promote youth empowerment. As part of this campaign, the National Alliance to End Homelessness and Girls Inc. partnered with Lifetime to develop the “Homeless to Harvard” educational toolkit, which includes a classroom discussion guide and teacher’s manual.
THE RED WAGON: FACING HUNGER
(DVD; Dir. Jim Ritvo and Dave Raizman, 2005; 45 minutes)
“The Red Wagon: Facing Hunger” is the story of individuals struggling every day to feed their families. These families rely on the charitable food system of food banks, soup kitchens and food shelves. This documentary highlights the network of volunteers and activists wrestling to meet this essential human need.
The film shows how food insecurity ravages one’s sense of dignity and how experiencing hunger is more than just not having enough to eat. The Red Wagon will challenge what you thought you knew about hunger in this nation.
FACES OF HOMELESSNESS
(DVD; National Coalition for the Homeless; 13:38 run time)
“Faces of Homelessness” is a slideshow of images of people that are homeless or marginally housed, statistics about homelessness in the United States and quotes about homelessness and poverty.
THE STORY OF COTS: A STORY OF COURAGE, COMPASSION AND COMMUNITY
(DVD; Ken French Media, 2008; 9 minutes)
“The Story of COTS” is a celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the Committee on Temporary Shelter. The film chronicles the history of the Burlington, VT organization through interviews and images. The video conveys the mission of COTS and how the non-profit works to make a difference in the community. Images of COTS facilities, interviews of COTS shelter guests, volunteers, community partners and staff are all included.
- Vermont Affordable Housing Coalition
- Vermont Housing Data
- Vermont Housing Awareness Campaign
- Vermont Housing Finance Agency
- National Alliance to End Homelessness Resources and Facts The Alliance has developed a series of fact sheets, Fact Checkers and Explainers, to answer common and frequent questions about homelessness policy and research. All fact sheets draws on the best expertise, data, and research available.
- Institute for Children and Poverty An independent research and policy think tank that conducts national research on the causes of family homelessness, the demographics of this growing population, and the programs most effective in assisting homeless families to transition to stability and self-sufficiency.
- National Center for Homeless Education Provides numerous resources on homeless children and youth, resources for advocates, etc.
- National Center on Family Homelessness A non-profit organization working towards long-term solutions that help homeless families become self-supporting and active participants in community life.
- National Coalition for Homeless Veterans
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Website on Homeless Veterans
- National Coalition for the Homeless A national advocacy network of homeless persons, activities, service providers and others committed to ending homelessness through public education, policy advocacy, grassroots organizing, and technical assistance.
- National Healthcare for the Homeless Council
- National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty
- National Low-income Housing Coalition
- National Coalition for Homeless Veterans (NCHV) – provides legislative advocacy, public education and technical assistance for service providers of homeless veterans.
- National Student Campaign Against Hunger & Homelessness A coalition of students and community members across the country to end hunger and homelessness through service projects and action.
- National Alliance to End Homelessness
- Coalition on Human Needs The Coalition on Human Needs is an alliance of national organizations working together to promote public policies that address the needs of low-income and other vulnerable people.