How do I ask for donations?
- Ask your friends, family and co-workers. Pick up the phone, send an email or write a letter.
- Use Facebook, Twitter and other social media. Talk about why you are walking – and ask them to consider a gift. Share a link to your online fundraising page (see next section to learn how to set this up).
- If online fundraising isn’t your thing, use your envelope to collect cash and checks. Keep a record and give your donors a receipt.
How do I set up my online fundraising site?
- It’s easy! Click here to create a fundraising page.
- If you are walking as an individual, click “Participate as an Individual.” If you are a part of a team and the first one to register, click “Create a Team.” If someone from your team has already registered, click “Join a Team.” If you register as an individual, you can always join a team later.
- You’ll need to provide your email address and create a password the first time.
- Now the fun part starts! Upload photos and personalize your page, however you’d like. Reach out to your friends via email, Facebook, Twitter and more.
- Now you are up and running! Share your page on Facebook and Twitter, and send out your emails.
Here are a few tips to help you make your page shine!
- Customize the text and the photo on your page to express your purpose. Adding your photo and personal tidbits helps your page stand out from the crowd.
- Tell why you’re participating in the 2017 COTS Walk — why it’s important to YOU.
- Use the online tools to send emails to your friends, family and co-workers, post your page on Facebook, and more!
Questions? Need help? Give us a call at (802) 864‐7402.
Not sure what to say in your email or letter to supporters? You may use the following as the basis for your message.
I have accepted the Challenge to raise $1,000 for COTS (Committee on Temporary Shelter) at this year’s COTS Walk.
COTS is Vermont’s largest provider of services for Vermonters who are homeless, at risk of becoming homeless, or marginally housed.
Thanks to the Walk sponsors, EVERY DOLLAR raised through the COTS Walk supports shelter and services for families and individuals in crisis. Also, a generous grant matches Challenge donations.
More information about COTS and the COTS Walk is available at www.cotsonline.org. The focus at COTS is on finding solutions to END homelessness — not simply creating shelters for people who are experiencing homelessness.
Through the COTS Housing Resource Center, for example, COTS provides one-time emergency assistance to families and individuals facing an eviction, needing money toward a rental deposit, or at risk of losing their housing due to a one-time, unforeseen expense, such as a major car repair or medical bills.
COTS also works with other nonprofit and state agencies to provide a broad array of services and supports to help families and individuals get back on their feet.
Please support me in raising money for this organization! You can write a check, give cash or donate online using this link <insert the link generated at the top of your fundraising page>. Donating through this site is simple, fast and totally secure.
Many thanks for your support — and please forward this to others who might want to donate too!
<Insert your name>