COTS Walk 2017
Spend May 7th with COTS!
Join us in Battery Park in Burlington for our 28th annual COTS WALK
Registration begins at 1 p.m. and the walk starts at 2 p.m.
Want to volunteer? Contact Sian Leach, at email@example.com
For Walkers, Volunteers and Team Captains, download: Walk Information Packet
The annual COTS Walk is a 3-mile trek around downtown Burlington, starting from Battery Park and follows the route a person experiencing homelessness might travel to receive shelter and services. This is the one day of the year that we open our shelters to the community so people can see how their pledges are put to use.
Registration opens at 1p.m. and at 2 p.m., participants are led by the drummers of Sambatucada down the Church Street Marketplace along Main Street and into surrounding neighborhoods. Along the way, walkers are invited inside of COTS’ numerous buildings.
The walk takes about an hour and concludes back at Battery Park where walkers are met with music and refreshments
WHO WALKS AND WHY
About 2,000 walkers of all ages, from businesses, schools, social and religious organizations, and neighborhoods come together from all over the region to participate in the annual COTS Walk.
The COTS Walk has two purposes: To raise public awareness about homelessness in our community and to raise money to support COTS shelters and services for Vermonters who are homeless or are at risk of losing their homes.
We plan to raise $200,000 to support COTS shelters and services in the upcoming year.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Walk as an individual: Register now. Then, receive a Walk Pledge Packet. Set a fundraising goal for yourself and begin collecting pledges from friends, co-workers, family members and neighbors — in person or online. Bring your pledges to the check-in tent on Walk Day and join in as the crowd departs Battery Park.
- Be a Team Captain: The Walk is especially fun if you form a team and walk with a group of co-workers, friends, family members or your social or religious organization. Give your team a name, make signs or costumes or come up with another creative way to identify yourselves as a Walk Team for COTS. Our photographer will be there to snap your team photo!
- Take the Challenge: Set a goal of raising at least $1,000 — as an individual or a team. A generous grant will match all Challenge Walk donations up to $15,000. Also, Challenge walkers who meet the goal will receive exclusive COTS logo gear, and Challenge Teams receive a framed certificate and special recognition at our Annual Meeting & Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast.
Register Online Now or contact Sian Leach at (802) 864-7402, Ext. 207 to register over the phone. *If you are forming a team, only the team captain needs to register and will fill out the number of pledge envelopes needed total (1 for each teammate) on the form.
AFTER YOU REGISTER
COTS Walk SWAG!
- We have COTS Walk T-Shirts with unique designs that change year-to-year. To receive one, you must:
- Register for the walk
- Fundraise for COTS:
- Walkers 16 and under: $75.00
- Walkers 17 and older: $150.00
- For individuals that go above and beyond, and raise at least $1,000, they’ll receive:
- The t-shirt mentioned above
- A COTS reusable water bottle
- Limited supply COTS Challenge Walker swag
- This year’s Challenge Walker swag includes a camping chair, a sweater or a jacket!
- Challenge walkers are also recognized with certificates at our annual volunteer appreciation meeting!
Email us with questions and submit information: Contact Sian Leach at SianL@cotsonline.org or (802) 864-7402, Ext. 207.